Join A Team That Makes A Difference
Forde-Ferrier is looking for writers to contribute reading passages and math problems for curriculum material. Items needed include—
suitable for grades 1-8
fiction (including multicultural), nonfiction (including multicultural), cross-curriculum
suitable for grades 1-8
concepts, operations, problem solving
Writing Passages & Questions
suitable for grades 4 & 7
suitable for grades 5 & 8
Guidelines for Submission
- Submissions may include a variety of genre (see descriptions at the bottom of this page)
- All submissions must be grade/age appropriate in content. Prior to submitting a manuscript, the writer will confer with an editor from Forde-Ferrier regarding the company’s current content needs.
- All submissions must be grade/age appropriate in length (see below).
- All submissions must meet the customary standards of effective writing (e.g., clarity, correctness).
- Submissions should reflect a positive and “upbeat” tone.
- Submissions should be free of bias and inappropriate/offensive (e.g., vulgar, sexist) language.
- Submissions should be made via CD, with manuscript(s) saved in text-only format.
- Submission should include one (1) hard copy of manuscript(s), along with the author’s contact information. Each hard copy should include a word count and suggested grade level.
Note: There may be exceptions to the suggested word counts (e.g., poetry). Writer should consult with an editor for direction and approval before submitting a manuscript that does not meet the suggested word count.
- Upon acceptance of his/her manuscript(s), the writer will receive a contract from Forde-Ferrier
- Payment is made on a predetermined per-word basis. The writer receives full payment after returning the signed contract to Forde-Ferrier
- Upon acceptance and payment, the manuscript becomes the sole property of Forde-Ferrier
Note: Promising manuscripts may be returned to the author for revision. After revising, the author may re-submit the manuscript for further consideration. We must request only a single submission of your manuscript and résumé.
No phone calls or status inquiries please.
Submit writing samples of passages and/or math problems along with a current résumé to:
Forde-Ferrier is an equal opportunity employer.
Appropriate Genre for Reading Passages
Stories of individuals who have made a positive contribution to their community/world; emphasis on individuals who represent various cultures/parts of the world; subjects should be seen as positive role models
Clear, informative pieces that teach students how to complete a particular process; emphasis on practical activities that will interest students; may include graphs, charts, and diagrams when appropriate
Personal reflections on both the mundane events of daily life and current/past social issues; emphasis on conversational tone and age-appropriateness; humorous selections encouraged
Engaging stories that reflect the interests and concerns of students; emphasis on well-crafted stories that include plot, characterization, etc.; may include retelling of folk tales, myths, etc.
Informative, interesting selections that present accurate information about the topography, vegetation, wildlife, climate, natural resources, etc., of various regions of the world; emphasis on selections that give a complete picture of an area; may include graphs, charts, and diagrams when appropriate
Informative, interesting selections that describe and explain key events from the past; emphasis on material that leads students to a deeper understanding of different people from different parts of the world; may include graphs, charts, and diagrams when appropriate
Informative, positive selections that focus on the achievements and interests of every-day people; emphasis on overcoming obstacles, reaching important goals, contributing to the community, etc.
Engaging poems that will interest and entertain young readers; emphasis on use of poetic devices (e.g., imagery, rhythm, onomatopoeia, simile, metaphor)
Informative, interesting selections from any branch of science; emphasis on material that will engage students in scientific thinking and/or encourage future investigation of ideas; may include graphs, charts, and diagrams when appropriate
Download our catalog to your computer
Give your students the best and the best will come back to you!
Forde-Ferrier provides teachers, students, and parents with the most comprehensive educational materials designed to help students master all sections of the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR) test.
Forde and Ferrier strive to build ongoing relationships with teacher, schools, and districts. They truly believe in what they do and are excited when they are able to help others succeed.
Research Based Company
View our own research.
Mastery Learning: The Forde-Ferrier Mastery Method